Connect any drone to any UTM via any cellular network. Open source.
Scout is the open source project from Altitude Angel featuring electrical schematics, firmware and 3D-printable case designs to add cellular telemetry, remote ID capabilities and full command & control to any drone.
With a footprint of just 58mm x 68mm x 24mm and a battery life of up to 3 hours on a standard 2000mAh lithium-polymer battery, Scout packs a lot of technology into a small, lightweight design. It's also extremely low cost to build, and we've even open-sourced plans for a 3D-printable enclosure. Scout gives you everything you need to build UTM-powered drones quickly, reliably and easily.
The default firmware comes fully integrated with a connection to Altitude Angel's industry-leading UTM platform, and you can easily add your own capabilities or combine services from multiple providers.
Using commercial off-the-shelf parts, coupled with the open source architecture, means the devices are very cost-effective to build and infinitely expandable.
Why use Scout?
We started the Scout project to facilitate the creation and adoption of beyond visual line-of-sight and automated drone flights. Scout is different from other 'hook on' telemetry devices out there today.
- Fully open source hardware and firmware: adapt it for your needs, use it with the UTM you like.
- Two-way cellular communication link: most devices just broadcast, Scout listens and can respond to UTM guidance.
- Get started with Altitude Angel's innovative UTM services: support out-of-the-box for our data and traffic management APIs to help your project get off to a flying start!
Flying with Scout opens a range of new possibilities, including the ability to connect your drone to Altitude Angel's class-leading UTM platform so that you can fly with enhanced safety, supported by our world-class data feeds and traffic management services.
Who is Scout for?
If you need to add two-way telemetry and command-and-control to your next drone project, you need Scout. Scout's open-source architecture means you can customise virtually any element - from chip to firmware - giving you remarkable flexibility to adapt both it's physical properties and the firmware to your precise requirements.
At this time, Scout is still in its developmental phases and it's primarily intended for usage by research institutions, universities, systems integrators, drone manufacturers and software developers. We're currently in talks with several hardware fabricators who have expressed an interest in bringing a "ready-to-run" device straight to market later this year.
In the meantime, Scout will:
- Reduce your time-to-market for a capable cellular telemetry device, with on-board GPS/GLONASS
- Quickly get your project off the ground with a connection to Altitude Angel's real-time UTM services for tasks such as traffic de-confliction, navigation support and flight path alerting
- Rapidly enable you to enhance the firmware or submit updates to the schematics through the project's GitHub repository.
Ready to get started?
Head over to the project's GitHub repository to discover how easy it is to build your very own Scout device!
We're accepting contributions to the project, too, so if you use it and improve it, please do contribute back for others.
For all Scout-related press and media enquiries, please contact [email protected].
Made with 💗 by Altitude Angel